Skip to main content

How I Fixed My Panasonic Microwave Oven and 4 Options I Considered

Our over the counter Microwave oven Panasonic NNP994SFR was recently
giving us some grief. It would work and then on the second attempt it
wouldn't. I found multiple workarounds to get it working but it hasn't
been consistent. I found it sometimes works if I used Sensor Heating
instead of using the timer. I also discovered that I could get the
unit to work sometimes if I reduced the powerlevel from the default
10. I also thought that spinning the disc where you sit food inside
the microwave oven worked but it didn't always. I gave up and decided
I had these four options:

1) Is it still under warranty? If it is then get it fixed.
This unit was purchased May 2007 so I had low hopes. I checked the
user manual and it showed 2 years parts plus 3 years megatron part
coverage. I may be able to get some coverage if the megatron was the
issue. We went to The Brick and asked for a copy of our invoice from

2) If there is no warranty, receive out-of-warranty quotes from
authorized Panasonic repair shops.
I went online to to contact support and find
out what I can do given the symptoms I'm experiencing with my
microwave oven and they said to get the unit to the closest repair
shop. I called one of them and they said that it starts at $65
diagnostic fee. Parts are separate and I was hoping some parts were
still covered in #1.

3) Purchase a new one.
I called our trusted sales representative at The Brick and asked for a
quote for an equivalent replacement model. He found Panasonic
NNP994SFR for about $317. This was comparable to the last one but ETA
is 2-3 weeks so I'm a little worried about what we would use in the

4) Ask an expert.
I did do that in item #2 but didn't get anywhere. What I did was asked
my brother-in-law what he would recommend and he said these ingenious
few words - "have you unplugged and restarted the unit?" I thought,
what would it hurt? We moved the unit to another power outlet and lo
and behold, it worked. I'm not sure if the unit just needed a reboot
or if it's the wall outlet, but my issue has been resolved. It's been
working for 2 days in row so am crossing my fingers. Thanks to my
brother-in-law Philip for suggesting the reboot. He saved me over $300
and many sleepless nights.

Moral of the story is: ask family or friends for advice first.


Popular posts from this blog

Our 45-day Summer Vacation

My kids and wife flew out to Niagara Falls immediately when the school bell sounded. That's how excited we were to start out on our summer vacation. I could only take 2 weeks off from work so I stayed behind and planned to fly out end of July. I was a bachelor until then.

Niagara Falls from Jun 29-Jul 14 The adventure starts in Niagara Falls where my in-laws live. My  kids and wife bonded with cousins and extended family for about two weeks. Starting July 6 they went camping at Fifty Point Conservatory Area in Hamilton and boating in Lake Ontario.

My kids rode at top speed on the boat and also got pulled behind the boat on a three-person inflatable dingy.

Their adventure continued south to Washington DC after that, driving for 7 hours. 

Washington DC from July 15 They went to Washington DC for a day and stayed at Hilton Garden Inn. They went to see the Whitehouse, the US capitol, the Lincoln Memorial, Washington monument, and many other landmarks.

From there, they drove 7 hours south to …

How I Fixed My In-Sink Garburator

Our kitchen garburator had been out of order for the past few weeks and I thought I would give it some tender loving care this Christmas Holidays because we'll need it. It's a Mainline Model 1900 and has been very dependable for the past 6 years. This happened a few times before and all I did was run a wooden barbeque stick through the serrated edges of the garburator blade to dislodge whatever gunk was in there and that did the trick. It didn't this time and I was ready to spend some money. 
I was tempted to call our plumber and have them fix this for me (here take my money) but I thought to myself, how hard can this be. I was also tempted to take the whole thing apart to clean whatever was causing the blade to not spin but I'm sure I would have lost a few fingers or two if I did that. What did work was using something everyone already has lying around the kitchen - a butter knife.
Take the butter knife and find the gap in the blade to insert the tip of the knife int…

Top Nutrition Advice from a Registered Dietitian

My wife, kids, and I recently attended a 2-hour food seminar with a registered dietician at our local Fresh St Market and learned a thing or two about healthy eating. Someone once said this about healthy eating and nutrition - that they are "already aware, and just need to implement it". I assume the "it" is the healthy eating part which to me means that until it is implemented, then they are eating less healthy in the meantime. I think this is where the extra learning comes in that comes with attending these quick seminars. If anything, learning that this is a way of life and not a form of diet is worth the cost of going to this very free seminar/tour.

DISCLAIMER: These are my own notes and may not be accurate and not necessarily reflect what the dietitian said. It's all reliant on my note-taking skills that day.

Eating out at restaurants = no.
Prepared foods = yes.
Eating well is not not expensive.
Plan on buying 5 dinners when you go grocery shopping and use…