Skip to main content

How I Fixed My In-Sink Garburator

Our kitchen garburator had been out of order for the past few weeks and I thought I would give it some tender loving care this Christmas Holidays because we'll need it. It's a Mainline Model 1900 and has been very dependable for the past 6 years. This happened a few times before and all I did was run a wooden barbeque stick through the serrated edges of the garburator blade to dislodge whatever gunk was in there and that did the trick. It didn't this time and I was ready to spend some money. 

I was tempted to call our plumber and have them fix this for me (here take my money) but I thought to myself, how hard can this be. I was also tempted to take the whole thing apart to clean whatever was causing the blade to not spin but I'm sure I would have lost a few fingers or two if I did that. What did work was using something everyone already has lying around the kitchen - a butter knife.

Take the butter knife and find the gap in the blade to insert the tip of the knife into and then try and spin the blade. It should have a punch hole beside it.  Normally, if nothing was in the way, this would allow you to move the blade back and forth. If there was some blockage, it will require a little bit of effort but just keep forcing it clockwise then anti-clockwise and once you feel it give, turn on the garburator. I was so happy to hear the familiar grinding/tearing din that it makes when it works. I think we'll have to stay away from Tilapia fish bones for a while or just not use the garburator to dispose of those.

Hope this helps you DIY when you run into the same problem. Merry Christmas.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frustrating experience we had with a Honeywell baseboard heater

Here is a review of a baseboard heater for use in your basement if you are in the market for one. I just thought I would write one up because of the hassle I had to go through with my initial choice for a heater. I bought the Honeywell HZ-515C baseboard heater at Canadian Tire for $59 back in August 2008. It was for the basement suite where our friends Gabriel and Natasha are. It worked well for medium to large rooms and was quiet which was a great selling feature. However, by April 2009, the unit had stopped working and I was forced to get it replaced. The replacement warranty was 3 years for these units and it was only 9 months of use. The replacement unit was fine until it stopped working again in March 2010. This was almost a full year of use but I wasn't impressed at this point. I went back to Canadian Tire and wasn't surprised to see that they no longer carry this model. Even if they did carry it, I would probably just pick a different model for the same amount which is w

Berry-picking at Krause Berry Farm in Langley

After the trip to the zoo last weekend, we headed out to the Krause Berry Farm in Langley the very next day for some berry-picking and farm animal-petting fun. My sister, Dennis, kids, my mom, and family all went. Melvin, Patricia, and kids were also there (although I didn't quite see them in the farm as we were madly trying to fill our basket full of blueberries). We didn't go into the raspberry patch as there weren't as much and decided we would rather just buy more of the blueberries from the store in the farm instead. We also purchased some strawberries and corn, and the berry-flavored pies all looked so good. We'll get some of those next time. There is a fenced petting area where I saw a llama and goats, and you can purchase feed for $2. There is a horse-carriage and rides were offered around the farm for $2 each. We didn't go into the rides this time. I lined-up at the concession stand to get us some drinks as it was very hot that day. I ordered lemonade drink